Friday, September 18, 2009

They Don't Build 'em Like They Used To

They don't build them like they used to. I wish I had a buck for everytime some old timer said that to me. Now I'm the old timer. I wish I had a buck for ever time I said it.

As a car guy, I really know they don't build them like they used to. A 1970 Mustang Boss 302 Fastback. A 1931 Ford Five Window Coupe. A 1936 Chrysler Airflow. A 1936 Packard 120. 1961 Jaguar E-Type. Cars that should be in the Museum of Modern Art. In fact, some of them are.

But what about safety? Sure, modern cars have safety belts and air bags and crumple zones. But what about heft? The fenders of a 1918 Buick could take a hit. You can bend the fender of a 2008 Buick by hand.

Surely a 90 year quest to make a modern car lighter, faster and more fuel efficient has taken its toll on safety. Well, actually, no. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety decided to test the theory. They put their vaunted Crash Test Dummies behind the wheels of a 1959 Chevy Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Take a look:



The 50-year old Bel Air is a land yacht. And still it's amazing to watch the lighter, smaller Malibu penetrate the engine compartment, pop the windshield, shear off the top and put the hurt on the Dummy. The Malibu's driver on the other hand would have a good story to tell, but would probably be in one piece to tell it.

So the next time some gasbag like me says they don't make 'em like they used to, remember: That's probably a good thing!

Just thought you might like to know.


No comments: