Friday, November 14, 2008

Just Thought You Might Like to Know

This blog is dedicated to the memory of Mr. Fred Palmer, a pioneer of radio, a broadcasting Hall of Famer and my first boss in the communications industry. Mr. Palmer hired me in 1981 as a news director at radio station WATH in Athens, OH. Mr. Palmer was a delight to work for and taught me more about the business world that I could have learned at the Harvard Business School.

Every weekday I would host a 60 minute news and information show for which Mr. Palmer would provided an opinion piece. His standard outcue was always "just thought you might like to know."

Well, I did like to know. And I learned a lot. So, Mr. Palmer, this Blog's for you.
# # #

One of the good things of being in the communications industry is the ability to travel around this great country. I just returned from a nine-day trip to San Diego and New Orleans. Hightlight of my trip was the 11th annual EBT The Next Generation conference which I help manage on behalf of my client, the Electronic Funds Transfer Association.

The conference was held at the beautiful Marriott Mission Valley in San Diego.

201 people attended the show, which featured over 20 sessions devoted to ways to use electronic payment technology as a replacement for paper-based government payments.

This technology, called Electronic Benefits Transfer, or EBT, is one of the best examples of how technology can make government work better and more efficiently.

Just thought you might like to know.

No comments: